My latest little food obsession surrounds the delicious grain, quinoa! It is one of the very few plant-based sources of complete protein. It is also high in fibre, incredibly versatile, tastes wonderful and has a nice crunch. For those of you who need to avoid wheat, it is a great, healthy alternative.
These breakfast delights took a bit of effort - approximately 30 minutes but probably could have been quicker if I didn't have a wild 11-month old playing in the tupperware cupboard! They are totally worth it though. So healthy and absolutely delicious. I even had one with my tea this afternoon.
1/2 a cup of apple sauce
1 cup of mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
1 cup of cooked quinoa (about 1/2 a cup dry)
2 1/2 cups of oats
1/2 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup of honey
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 apple, peeled & chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin ( I use olive oil)
- Cook the quinoa as per the instructions on the box.
- Mix the applesauce, mashed banana, almond milk & honey on one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients (oats, cooked quinoa, cinnamon).
- Slowly stir the wet into the dry until fully combined.
- Mix the apple chunks into the bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin in equal quantities until each compartment is full.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.